Sunday, March 4, 2012

Courage.

Would you walk into a burning building?

Would you walk into the burning building if a loved one was trapped inside?

Would you walk into the burning building if a stranger was trapped inside?

While sitting around a campfire we all say that smoke follows beauty. We all move to get out of the way when the smoke blows towards us. I love the smell of campfires. But I hate the leftover smell they leave the next day, when you're in your clean house. The heroes in this picture smell like fire and will smell like fire the next day. And the next. They don't get leftovers. They walk into burning buildings for strangers.
Firefighters get paid as much as teachers. So how come we always hear teachers joke and complain about payment, but firefighters say nothing?
I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they do complain, and I never hear it. But what I do know, is that these men and women are heroes. They take courage to a new level. My courage is talking to someone in a new class and whether to get up in the mornings or not. They walk into burning buildings for strangers.
I know I'm not the best writer. I know I'm probably not the blog, that people check to see if I've posted something new. Sometimes I focus too much on the: I suck. And, I'm never going to be as good as her. Or as smart as him. So I literally might not be walking into burning buildings weekly, but I am being myself. And that's courage to me. I am walking into burning buildings. I get burned. But my skin grow back stronger.


No comments:

Post a Comment